Thursday, September 2, 2010

of Pine, Plastic, & Far Flung Places

This summer's travels took us west to Bear's Lodge and east of Wooster.

One week after our trip west to South Dakota and Wyoming we made a spur of the moment decision to head to Mid-Ohio for the ALMS race.

I should have known that the intersection of US HWY 30 and I-69 might not have been the best place to stop for sleep at 1:30am with my 3 boys. I was getting tired & I promised myself that I'd stop at the next truck stop or McDonald's for a nice well lit parking lot to sleep in for an hour or so before we drove on. When I got to the first Fort Wayne exit and it featured a truck stop and a McDonald's I gave thanks to St Christopher and pulled off the road. I'm not sure what I saw what transacting in the McD's parking lot across from the TWO gentlemans clubs, but I was positive that it would not look good to have a story in the news about me, Brandy's, & a car load of kids. It turns out that Good Chris would have to carry me a bit farther down the road. He did. We slept for a few hours in a clean Ohio rest area.

Partially rested we spent the day at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course watching IndyCar qualifying and the ALMS race. Fabulous track! It is a beautiful facility. I took something like 2400 pictures, turned a bright hue of red, and we had a BLAST. I would definitely return.

Our 8th annual pinewood derby and summer picnic was held. There were 12 kids entries, 6 adults, 4 entires for Formula Unlimited, and 1 flame juggler. Brats, sunshine, little pine race cars, I don't think it could have been a better day. Oh but it could get better. The after-party included pizza, a Hannah Montana dance off, & Slots of Fun.



Speaking of slot cars, I finished my Speed Racer Mach 5 as an SCXd car. It has probably been 6 years since my boys gave me that snap together model as a gift. After a combination of procrastination and planning she has finally taken to the track.
SCI
SCX WorldWide

What a great summer.